Friday, January 30, 2009

A couple of new poems

I've written more of late. Hope you enjoy.

Real Hope

Myself-- not good. (Believe me, dear, I would)
My words, not true (Yes true but not complete)
Wanting to live (I see only defeat).

Appalled at sin (No hope comes from within)
Crave purity (Corruption eats away)
Waking to shudder (Shiver in dismay).

I lift my eyes (They do not lightly rise)
To Hope above (not to abstract ideal)
But Jesus’ face (He- personal, He- real)

My beauty, an illusion (False delusion)
His beauty all-consuming (Mine, reflection)
Resting in His protection (Basking in His affection, Sure hope of resurrection).


Cut by Shards

I read a book and knew the world had broken-
Dead dogs piled on the roads and pain unspoken.

Her eyes held hopelessness that made me shiver,
Her son stepped onto ice and broke the river.

But still I had not been cut by the shards
Of glass scattered in all of earth’s junkyards.

I read the news and wept for others loss
But for myself had not counted the cost.

But I met Pain- she pierced and broke my heart
My lungs shriveled to have to live my part.

My heart’s pinched in a vice, pain mostly dull
But then so sharp I cannot bear my role.

I read a book and knew the world has broken
But Brokenness and I— Now we have spoken.

And I lie still, and wait- for it will ease
And fix my eyes upon the Prince of Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are wonderful abby!
i am in awe of your talent.
Love,
kelsey

The Bosnian Kat said...

Abby-

Wow. I never knew you were so gifted in poetry! I enjoyed reading this post!

Hope you are well-
Kat