Saturday, June 13, 2009

the Lord's provision

Pauline married John last night, on a lovely Georgia plantation. We sat outside in white wooden chairs and they held hands under the gazebo. The ceremony was small and perfect, though a bit difficult to hear because of the rolling thunder. Nervous guests would jerk their heads up every few moments just to check to see if the rain had started yet. Sure enough, in between the rings and the kiss, the sky broke and water poured down. Amazingly, a tent had been set up for a wedding the next day, so we all dashed under it and surrounded the damp bride and groom. The laughter and love filled that billowing tent, and we whistled "Praise to the Lord" as they walked back down our human made aisle.

We danced all night, and ate apple crisp for dessert. Aside from the fact that my feet hate me, I'm deliciously happy with the whole event.

Today I should have been at the Atlanta airport all day. The people I stayed with could only take me to the airport in the morning. Since I'll be in airports for the next two days straight, I was not particularly excited about this plan, but thought perhaps the Lord had something for me there I did not know about. BUT, at the wedding, a wonderful couple from out of town heard about my plan and invited me to spend the day with them. I excitedly accepted, and so today, when I should have been sprawled out with my bags at the airport, I found myself instead laughing and talking and praying with Carol and Don, and then wandering around the Atlanta Art Museum, looking at Monet's water lillies. I sat in front of one of the paintings for almost a half an hour, shaking my head in wonder at the beauty Monet found, and at God's goodness to me allowing me to spend the afternoon this way. They dropped me at the airport after our excursions, where I encountered another round of fiascos, and where I was actually called a cow by an airport worker. I looked for the positive light in this comment, but finding none, decided to express my displeasure with my offender. He invited me to get over it, and seeing no other option, I turned around and walked to my gate.

There are so many stories to tell! This is a story of the Lord's provision, of tents and lilies and gardens so that Monet could paint them, and kind couples who would disrupt their afternoon in order to help me. I'm so thankful...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE. and EVERYTHING else about you:)
Mama

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying every writing so very much! I love you! granny...