Saturday, September 04, 2010

Adventure Time

It started this at six this morning, with me bouncing back and forth between making quiche, packing for three months, and cleaning my bathroom. Today my mother, sister and I hosted the wedding shower for the future Sra. Sanchez. We had mimosas, coffee cake, parfaits, and quiche. We homemade them all and are very proud of ourselves. I feared awkward moments, as I usually do when hosting such events (which is ridiculous. there are such better things to be afraid of than awkwardness... like salmonella and bedbugs and asthma attacks... but no, I fear awkward) and breathed a sigh of relief when people seemed to enjoy themselves. Hooray for champagne in the morning.

The guests left and I scrambled around the house, feeling a bit anxious, not knowing whether to scrub pots and pans or pack that extra pair of shoes. I tried to both and managed not to pack the pots or scrub my shoes. I am not good in moments like this, and often can get confused and side tracked. It is usually Ali's job to keep me on track. (She gave herself that job after she found me trying to fill out my birthday calendar when I was supposed to be moving out of my apartment last spring. It felt urgent).

I left at two today, picked up my friend Mary and headed East on 30. We are driving to Boston, taking our sweet time, staying with some strangers and some friends and just enjoying the ride. Tonight our hosts are Debbie and Jody, a lovely couple in Little Rock Arkansas who enjoy peanut butter ice cream, football and laughing their daughters. We spent the last few hours chatting with them about football and nooks and Elvis. They are the kind of people you can slouch in front of without feeling bad. I like 'em.

Already as the trees grew taller and the land bumpier I am feeling a bit of newness. Tonight as I lay down it is about 50 degrees outside. Tomorrow I'm chasing fall to Tennessee.

4 comments:

Bethoover said...

I am so happy for you to have this special time. I am not so happy for me. I will miss you!

SarahMeiser said...

I miss you. I was about to write you and send it to Boston. Now reading this entry, I'm not sure where to send it off to?

Erika said...

OK.... so thankful for champagne in the morning. Thanks. What is your address anyways?? LOVE!!

Kristin Stockwell said...

I am so happy for you to have this special time. I am not so happy for me. I will miss you!