Monday, October 12, 2009

twenty-four oceans

Today was the death day of my twenty fifth year. It dies officially tonight at twelve. Tomorrow, when people ask me, I'll answer, twenty-five. I celebrated this death by waking up slowly and having four cups of coffee with my mother, and then by meeting my beloved sister Ali for antique shopping, walking, talking, and of course, crying in an old historic downtown square. My father and brother-in-law came and met us for lunch, and we just... enjoyed each other.

The funniest quote of the day (and there were many) was a toss up. I mortified myself by exclaiming "MOM, DID YOU KNOW THAT ERIKA IS TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH A MEXICAN?" just as our lovely latina waitress set the tortilla chips on the table. I love Mexico, and meant it in complete eager excitement for my friend, but the timing was... poor. (By the way, congratulations my friend). Earlier at an antique store my mom picked up a doll and moaned, "I have this in my ceder chest! I'm antique!!!" Later my mother (who NEVER shops) bought some jeans called "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" at a store around the corner. When she came out of the dressing room to show them off, my dad whispered in her ear. I'm not sure what it was, but the smile on her face made me sure that the self-doubt caused by the antique store was now quite invalidated.

I loved twenty-four, and heartily recommend it to anyone. It has been a difficult year, full of lessons hard learned (though well learned. I personally would have chosen to read a book about, and fixed myself completely beforehand rather than walk the road, but God in His wisdom had other plans). It has been a year of the Lord's steadfast faithfulness, a year of His power and glory, and a year of His strength in my weakness.

It has also been a year of listening to the switchfoot song "twenty-four" about 365 times, knowing that as of tomorrow, it just won't mean as much.

And now tomorrow I welcome twenty-five with open arms, knowing that whatever may come, He wills it so. I am frightened, of course, of many valid things (or at least, I think they're valid), and then some completely irrational things as well, but at least acknowledging it. That's a start.

God, grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

9 comments:

erika said...

You are half way to thirty. I think that was the best quote of the day. jajajaja

Anonymous said...

..And welcome to 25 my precious girl..today is the first day of the rest of your life..enjoy the moments!! I luv "U"...granny

Katherine said...

"But see I'm not copping out, I'm not copping out, I'm not copping oooouuuut when you're raising the dead in me."
I'm glad you don't cop out. Happy Birthday, dear friend.

Brent said...

Yeah, but at 25, your car insurance rates go down like 50%. And, advertisers covet those in the 25-54 demographic. And, besides, you're just now getting to full-blown Abby-ossitude, which, loosely translated, means "maximum Abby." And full-blown Abby-ossitude is kinda nifty to watch from a distance. Just sayin.'

I think you're doing 25 VERY well.

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on all of your writings... I am amazed (as usual) by your gift. I LOVE YOU... more than words could ever say. mama

Donna said...

Happy Birthday Dear Abby! I love you very much.

Dunbellwczb said...

I just caught up on all of your writings... I am amazed (as usual) by your gift. I LOVE YOU... more than words could ever say. mama

Ramos said...

You are half way to thirty. I think that was the best quote of the day. jajajaja

Mirzetscpb said...

I just caught up on all of your writings... I am amazed (as usual) by your gift. I LOVE YOU... more than words could ever say. mama