Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wishing I Were A Photographer

But I'm not. And perhaps it's better because there are some things I want to show you that can't be photographed. The woman on the subway would have considered it an imposition if I had drawn close to her and snapped the lines on her face, the vacant, fixed look on her eyes, the way her shoulders pulled forward though she was carrying nothing material. I would have stolen something from her, and she would have glared, and stepped away. So I memorized her for you. I memorized her as she saw past and through me, and never knew I existed. Her eyes were clearish green.

I want to show you the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. If Christen were here, she'd take pictures, and maybe you'd see it. You'd walk with her camera into the biggest cathedral in the world and feel for the first time the weight of Job's words, "Do you have an arm like God's,
and can your voice thunder like his?"
You'd feel irreverent for not falling to your knees, or you'd fall to your knees, as you realized how small you are, and how massive God is, and how you are at His mercy.

I wish I could show you the sideways rain in NYC, and how hard we laughed, soaked and freezing with umbrellas bent backwards, when the city tried to blow us back to Texas (We stood our ground).

I've been in New York City for five days. I've been walking miles a day, sipping coffee and interviewing pastors and ministers who profess love for God and love for their city. Men and women who eat, breathe, and live New York. Who strive to understand and serve their neighbors, who long to be faithful with what they've been given. I've met Presbyterians, Anglicans, Baptists, Atheists, Pluralists, Feminine Theologians, Counselors, Academics. To say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement. We've sat with some very experienced church planters, writers, theologians, hippies... and my head is swimming with words, ideas, and dreams. I got pretty worked up about it earlier but I've decided for the night to not take myself altogether too seriously.

What I mean by that is these men and women are exhorting us to serve God in their context. My context tonight is my roommate Chelsea and our lovely hosts. So tonight I'll serve them, and the people praying for me by updating my blog. And I'll listen to some beautiful music and worship my gracious Lord who cares for me and helps me to care for others.

And I'll think about the city and my future, but not now. Tonight I'm going horizontal, and praying for sweet dreams. Love to you, my friends.

2 comments:

Bethoover said...

Dang, you're a great writer!!

Brent said...

Just a point of clarification: Is it possible to be a "writer, theologian and hippie" or are they distinct categories? Just askin.' I think I might be a hybrid of that mix...