Monday, August 22, 2011

My Saint Bernard Sweater

By divine providence, I came into possession of an over-sized cashmere sweater with a giant Saint Bernard head on the front. It came to me during a fairly reflective, transitional time of life and I wore it for about a week continuously when I first inherited it. I wore it with jeans, shorts, tights, dresses. I would usually start the day in something relatively put together, make it to about 10am and then on would come the sweater.

I took a loonnnng road trip to Dallas when I left Massachusetts this spring and every time I felt nervous about coming back I would bend over, shake out my hair until it was twice the size of my head and dig out the Saint Bernard sweater. It was May, but somehow I managed to be on a mountain or in the middle of a cold front when I really needed that sweater. It's like a cashmere hug. It goes down to my thighs and presents a fierce Saint Bernard to anyone who might try to mess with me. I actually feel protected.

Tomorrow I start teaching. I am going to assign projects on American Historical Figures and the like. I am going to grade things. Don't get me wrong: this is absolutely where I am supposed to be and I don't think I could be happier. But it is a Saint Bernard sweater kind of day... nerves and needing hugs and also kind of ready to fight. Oh Lord, help.

No comments: