Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Little Lady Katie

My sister's name is Katie. I have three sisters and I refer to them all as "my sister" when I am telling stories. This really bugs my friends. Katie is in charge of the family, and we all know it's best that way. No, "in charge" doesn't really do it justice... she is the master of ceremonies. Yes, that's good. Our family progresses as one big ceremony; my dad stable with love and amusement, my mom magic, me having visions and panic attacks, Ali simple, cooking and laughing and praying, Danny listening and advising and brothering, Keila as the entertainer and prophet. and Katie is the master of ceremonies.

I think I'm supposed to have some older sister driving force, but as far as I see it, (Katie, correct me if I'm wrong), my job is to love Katie, to protect her (I am still the older sister, and if you mess with her, I'll mess with you), to advise her when she asks, to take care of her when she lets me, and to go along with the plans she makes.

This works well because Katie, with her twinkling eye and stubborn assertiveness and ability to make anything fun, knows best. She puts together outfits, parties, and adventures with a wave of her hand (often holding an iphone, of course, but in her case she is its master, not the other way around).  She makes family reunions fun. Going to lunch is an adventure, getting dressed a festival. She coordinates with grace, effortlessly spreading prettiness and laughter everywhere she goes. She's been smiling since she was a baby. And the more she learns she doesn't have to smile, the truer her smiles are.

But Katie is not a silly girl. She is too loyal and competent and self assured for that. She says no when she needs to and she trusts the voice inside her. She prays and she obeys when she understands what to do. And she's one of the most generous people I know.

If you happen to tumble into Katie's world, if she happens to meet you and glisten and tilt her head back and laugh, you should know now that you are about to fall in love. You are going to want to take her on a date or hire her or be her new best friend or make her your maid of honor or best man depending on your current situation.

And she is my sister. Dang, I lucked out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect description of Katie Lorenc :)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME... and ooooooooooooooh so true. LOVE YOU.
Mama

Katie Lee said...

That is my roommate! Yesss! I am so blessed!

Anonymous said...

Abby, Abby, Abby ... Weird, isn't it, when a younger sister becomes an equal sister? Happened to me, too, and we are as different as you and Katie. She is blessed to have a contemplative sibling who adores her. You are blessed by just knowing what you know... about your Katie... and her deep love for you as well.

Loved this post!!!

p.s. And ... I LOVE the "abbynormal" monicker. I PROMISE I was just thinking about Mel Brooks', Frankenstein ~~ today!!! TODAY!! It is my favorite comedy. Hands down.

p.s.s. Had lunch with your mom today ... and she is MOST DEFINITELY "magic".